Changing or Setting Aside Property Orders - Rafton Family Lawyers Sydney, Richmond, Parramatta, St Clair, Glenmore Park

Changing or Setting Aside Property Orders

Property Orders are typically very difficult to change or set aside in the absence of an agreement.

There are basically only five circumstances in which the Court may be persuaded to change property Orders. These circumstances are:

  • Both parties consent – in this case parties simply enter into fresh Orders
  • A substantial, significant and generally unforeseen change in circumstances occurs relating to the care arrangements for children
  • The Orders have become impossible or substantially impracticable to comply with
  • A party has defaulted in carrying out their obligation under the Order and it is now unjust to enforce the original Order
  • The Order had been obtained by fraud, duress, the suppression of evidence or the giving of false evidence

If Orders Are Set Aside

If Orders are varied then a specific change is made to them and the Orders otherwise remain the same and are enforced.

If Orders are set aside then the Court is entitled to re-determine the whole property dispute and to make completely new Orders as though the original Orders had never been made. The Court can have regard to any transactions that have occurred since the original (and now discharged) Orders were made and can deal with all assets of the parties at the time of hearing, including assets acquired or disposed of since separation.

Contact Our Sydney Family Law Office If You Need Any Help.

Leave a Comment

Your email address will not be published.

Read our plain English handbooks

These fact sheets are designed to provide an overview of the relevant issues and systems so that you have a better understanding of the process.


Rafton Conveyancing - Your Experts in Property

Whether you are buying or selling your first home, an investment property or a block of land, having an experienced legal team on hand to guide you through the process and ensure your transaction runs smoothly is critical. That’s where Rafton Conveyancying can help.

Rafton Arbitration and Mediation Brochure

Ensure that your clients are given the best possible opportunity to exit the Court process with a professional and efficient resolution to their family law dispute.

Scroll to Top