Disputes and Complaints

by | Mar 22, 2017 | Care & Protection Fact Sheets

In some cases that we deal with, our clients wish to make a complaint about the handling of their matter and have a grievance or dispute with the Department of Family and Community Services.

This fact sheet provides guidance in making a complaint.  Please discuss any issues with your Solicitor before making a complaint in writing directly to FACS.

Complaints can be made by dialling 1800 000 164 or in writing to:

Reply Paid 1113
Client Feedback Manager
Department of Family and Community Services
Locked Bag 28
Ashfield  NSW  1800.

In the event you make a compliant to FACS and you are not happy with the outcome, you can then proceed to the NSW Ombudsmen Office that investigates complaints where it is alleged the Department has acted unreasonably.

You can speak to an Ombudsmen Complaints Officer on 1800 451 524 or in writing to:

NSW Ombudsmen
Level 24, 580 George Street

The Administrative Decisions Tribunal

There are some decisions that can be reviewed by this Tribunal, but these only apply in specific matters.

You must make an application within 28 days of the date of the decision that you are appealing against.  Please ask your Solicitor for more information or contact the Tribunal on 9223 4677 to enquire if you are eligible before lodging your complaint with the Tribunal.

Contact our Sydney Family Law Office if you need any help.